The role of Program Support Specialist – Livelihood will be to provide subject matter expertise regarding the implementation of holistic child development programs and interventions by providing leadership in the development, planning, and monitoring of the Food Security and Livelihoods initiatives. The Specialist will champion the efforts of designing, documenting, coordination of related activities. A key objective of the role will include the development of commercialization strategies that are context specific, supporting the Frontline Church Partners to implement food security and livelihood activities, networking, and collaboration.
This role will also understand the funding needs of youth and caregivers and support mobilizing resources (both Compassion and non-Compassion) to meet those needs. He/She will coordinate all livelihood related interventions, collaborating with the associated Partnership Facilitator(s), Complimentary Intervention Specialists or other relevant -Program Specialists (e.g., Youth Specialists) and the Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist to ensure implementation quality.
Within their area(s) of expertise, the Program Support Specialist – Livelihood will:
Work with key stakeholders, designing and developing various rural/urban commercialization strategies that promote food security and livelihoods among program beneficiaries. Promote the use of modern farming practice and techniques among FCPs through organizing/facilitating training, advising caregivers, farm/site visits and demonstrations to transform targeted families from subsistence to commercial enterprises. Build capacity of youth and caregivers through training in entrepreneurial skills, financial literacy, market access and provision of relevant information and educative materials. Work with Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning Team to develop an up-to-date monitoring and evaluation framework as necessary and to improve quality of reporting, clearly articulate progress, and impact of projects. Collaborate with county authorities and identify strategic partnerships. Ensure that programme strategy supports and demonstrates good practice in child participation and child Protection. Support the expansion of innovative youth development programming such as transformative youth livelihoods, cash transfer/safety net group savings and loans and related approaches.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in International Development, Economics, or other related field or experience
- A Bachelor's degree in Agriculture or Agricultural economics will be an added advantage
- At least 3 years experience serving in a similar capacity
- Experience working with communities, savings group and market access
Skills & Competencies
- Skills and experience in Agribusiness, Trade and Livelihood programming.
- Specific skillset and competencies necessary for success in the role:
- Understanding and experience in the Agriculture value chain and Business development for market lead production and trade.
- Farmer mobilization and bulking of produce.
- Facilitation of market access for various products.
- Networking and collaboration.
- Ability to review/analyze information, reach conclusions and make relevant decisions/recommendations
- Ability to think programmatically and make recommendations/decisions based on this
- Ability to coordinate and facilitate discussions across multiple working groups
- Ability to collaborate well both internally & externally
- Ability to demonstrate servant leadership & live out Compassion’s Partnership Principles in supporting Frontline Church Partners
- Ability to network with other ministries & organizations
- Ability to represent Compassion on a professional level
- Ability to communicate (verbal & written) in a clear and effective manner